Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy Patriot's Day!

On Saturday morning I felt blah and lethargic. I didn't help that it was cloudy and gray out. I just did not feel like going to the gym. We took Jaxson to the park and then I took a long nap. When I woke up, I felt much better.

I realized I was in the mood for a long bike ride.  We have never been to the Minuteman Bikeway, even though it is only 20 minutes from our house. I found a bike rental shop online, and we were on our way. Unfortunately, we only had an hour and a half to bike because the store was closing at 5pm.



I would highly recommend The Bike Stop. It was right on the trail. You literally get on the bike and start riding. The bike was also the best rental bike I have ever ridden. Very comfortable and a smooth ride.





So, about the bike trail. It's called the Minuteman Bikeway. And Monday is Patriot's day, a holiday in Massachusetts commemorating the first battles of the Revolutionary War which took place in Lexington and Concord. The bike trail goes through Lexington. That explains why, as we were biking, we started seeing colonial-looking people in the woods. As we got closer, we realized we had happened upon a full reenactment of a Revolutionary War battle between the Colonists and the British.















"The British are coming! The British are coming!" I was pretty excited. Colonial Times was definitely my favorite time period in history class. I remember I crafted a whole elaborate colonial village as a history project in middle school. I also remember some of my favorite books from school were The Witch of Blackbird Pond and The Scarlet Letter about the Salem witch trials (from before the Revolutionary War) and then My Brother Sam is Dead about the Revolutionary War.








Me biking alongside the Minutemen!



Our workout was probably only 45 minutes long since we stopped to watch the battle, but it was totally worth it. We were so lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.

After we returned the bikes, we went out to dinner at our usual pub. I had a great salad and stuck to soda water with lime for drinks.



And I ended the night with a treat.




So, my bike trail has the Revolutionary War. What does your bike trail have?

No comments:

Post a Comment